Friday, December 17, 2010

...and now for something completely different

Hullo, my dumplings.

Today we're doing something a little different. Instead of a daily drawing, I give you the culminations of a semester's efforts in my ceramics class! Let's go down the line, shall we?

 The first piece to leave my fingertips was the tiny figure at the center of this little bowl. The holes came after. I don't know what I was thinking. I call it 'Penguin Pavilion'.

The second tiny animal to be made in this class, and the last. But he is very cute, no? The pattern the glaze put on him made me want to call him the 'Tortise shell Tortise'.







The first piece I was truly proud to call mine was my wolf. Although, some mistook it, and really, 'Stone Fox' is a way cooler name. :)








Sadly, though, I am but an ametuer potter, and I make ameteur mistakes. Such as letting air pockets form in the legs of my 'Bell Jar'. Damn. Was gonna give that one to Mom, too....
A failed attempt at a coil pot quickly became the perfect shape for a soap tray! I call this one 'Fish Dish'.



I believe I spent more time on this piece than any other, taking her home over the weekend to really craft the torso, but the hair is what I like the most. You can see the texture better at a full view, though. This is the 'Naga Woman'.







I wanted to call this the Whale Whistle, but my teacher is a bit of a stickler about accuracy ("It's not an oven--it's a KILN!"), so its title is instead 'Whale Ocarina'. The mouthpiece is in the tail. It does play, but not in tune. Also, we put it in a pit fire, and it got gross looking. Hopefully you can still see the smile.

This guy was a favorite among my classmates. Inspired by a random picture I found online, I've named him simply 'The Demon'.









I was challenged by my instructor to create either a large or tiny version of the previous model after I'd finished, and since I didn't want to use too much of my clay, I made this little fellow. He's about a third of the height of his brother, and I've taken to calling him the 'Little Demon'.

The 'Owl Mask' was my final piece, I am sad to say. But I am returning in the spring for the intermediate class. I look forward to showing you more in the months to come!










Go ahead and click on any of them for a full view--some have more detail than the little picture lets on!

Expect a return to the usual drawings upon the 'morrow. For now, good night sweet folks!

No comments: